I'm Thankful For...

November 25, 2014

Hey family!


Yesterday we had Mission Leadership Council so we have preparation day today!  

[What was the highlight of your week?] I held a snake last week! That was pretty cool. We had a great time with the Ault family last night for family home evening as well. It made me miss playing Monopoly even more but I can deal. 


[What are your plans on Thanksgiving Day?] For Thanksgiving we are going to play some football of course! We have a couple families that invited us over for dinner which was really nice. I am eating Thanksgiving dinner with the Nissen family in the evening though. Holidays are such great days to do good work! There are so many families together and we can just share messages of gratitude for days!

[What are you thankful for?] I am thankful for many, many things. My prayers have actually become a topic of discussion throughout the mission. I was going to tell you about that when I got home :P So I tried to make prayers really meaningful by being thankful for things that people might take for granted. For example I am grateful for drywall, cardboard pizza boxes, and a functioning postal service. (Life would be much less great without them, right?) Anyway, it became a distraction in the mission and missionaries would start saying prayers like me "to be seen of men" President Porter feared, so he asked me to knock it off haha. 
Elder Tanner

I am most grateful for lasting friendships, for eternal families, for peace that comes from the Gospel, for the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and for our Savior and a loving Father in Heaven. That is definitely not a comprehensive list.

Bishop Foister and Bro Robertson in the ward have been showing us their sweet 1820's replica dictionary which helps define words in the Book of Mormon because of Joseph Smith's language in his time and their "Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible" which shows original meaning in the greek and hebrew words in the original old and new testaments. They are really cool! Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Elder Sunderland

[Do you have any experiences with investigators and family history work?] I have a little experience with showing investigators family history work. One of our mission's goals is to have every convert meet with a Family History Consultant before baptism. We went to the temple with some recent converts after helping them find their own [family] names to take. A new rule is that we actually can go to the temple once a month with new converts if they have never been to do baptisms for the dead. That is an exciting twist! 

[What are some responses you've had when investigators understand temple work for the dead?] Investigators are totally stunned most of the time when they learn about baptisms for the dead. It's a pretty unique thing to Christ's kingdom, isn't it? Once they go to the temple and feel the spirit of the work it solidifies one's testimony quite well. President Porter teaches us that 80% of recent converts that go to the temple in the first 90 days after baptism, stay active. I haven't been around ever to see any of the recent converts I have taught make it to the temple while I was still there.

Elder and Sister Wilfred Anderson
President and Sister Porter
[What was this "mission tour" with the Anderson's I saw on Facebook?] Elder and Sister Anderson of the Seventy came to our mission. It was a neat experience for sure! The spirit rebuked and humbled me quite well during the leadership meeting. I had stopped asking God for forgiveness. I tried really hard to be better as a person and representative of Christ, but it's pointless if we aren't relying on the Savior for help to do just that. So I started asking for forgiveness in prayer and peace has once again been restored :)

I sure love you mom and dad! The Thanksgiving package is great! Gifts like yours and Nana and Andy's and the Woods sure warmed my heart. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Love,

Elder Fivas