Happy Halloween

November 4, 2013

**I had made the comment that "its a huge relief that you're happy and that I don't have to worry about your happiness 'cause there's nothing I can do about it if you weren't happy! (How's that for a happy sentence ;)". Oh Mom, you are just the greatest! I loved the happy sentence.


Elder Tanner with candy corn
Do you ever listen to the music on the lds youth website? I realize how great uplifting music is. You know because I can't listen to "cool" music I have to find alternatives and I can seriously see a difference in life with good music. Granted I miss occasionally listening to a Wiz Khalifa song or B.o.B but music that uplifts just makes it so I can go without.

I realize that the Yellowcard and Owl City songs that I love so much are actually great to listen to becuase they are pretty virtuous so that made me feel pretty good. :P I still miss them a lot.

I actually realized that the new Call of Duty game comes out way soon and I really want to play it :P But I really can go without, it's a good feeling :) I don't really know why I went on that little sermon haha

I saw the picture [card] of what Kelsey did for your [wedding] anniversary and that was way cool. Happy Anniversary!


Elder Tanner
Thanks so much for your wonderful Halloween package. I loved it and so did the Elders that partook of the goodies in it. The skeleton is now the favorite toy of the apartment and gets plenty of attention. It's funny how much Elders will play with toys when you have a very limited supply, haha.

Q: Do you ever get homesick?

I don't get homesick very often at all. I think of things about home every single day and I miss things but I seldom long to be home. Things are so great as a missionary that things like free time and video games can wait. I am happy out here and wouldn't trade any of my experiences for anything!

Halloween Trunk or Treat
Q: This might be a silly question, but does Ohio have daylight savings?

A: So Ohio does have daylight savings and I don't think I like it. It's way dark at like 5 o'clock and we aren't supposed to be out contacting in the dark and cold which makes it so we have to have good plans at night for like 4 hours! Almost impossible, but with God I can do it. Just another stretch is all.

Q: How are you doing on contacts (for your eyes)?

A: As for my contacts I think I have only changed out twice... Haha you know my bad ocular health! So I think I still have some to spare but I haven't checked in a while. I guess you'll now when I come begging for more :P

Q: Do you ever ride your bike anymore?

A: In my area out here in Eastern Cincinnati, all of the streets are narrow. Pretty lame. And there really aren't many sidewalks so no, I don't ride my bike at all. The English Elders tried two transfers ago and got a lot of honks and middle fingers because there is no room. So not safe!

Q: Our missionaries said they will be on facebook and have an ipad mini in April.  Have you been given a date?

A: I have no idea when they plan on making our mission electronic.

Q: Our local missionaries had a "lock down" party on Halloween.  What did you do for Halloween? 

A: For Halloween we were supposed to be in at 6:30 unless we had appointments. So we actually had appointments so there was no difference. (I feel a little prideful writing that) But it was Thursday so of course we had pizza night! Trick or treating actually got moved to Friday in my area too. So we did have to come home but we just did weekly planning for three hours because it was weekly planning day anyway.

Q: How would you rate your fluency in Spanish?


Check out that crazy paint job!
A: Having regular conversations in Spanish is no problem for me now, and I can talk about almost everything in the Gospel. I wouldn't say that I am fluent but the Spanish isn't very distracting at all anymore. I am comfortable talking to people but I do feel that I need to make a better effort if I want to get better at speaking spanish. I don't use it as much in Eastgate because there aren't near as many Hispanics. I am super happy that I am a Spanish Elder though. :) 

Q: How many missionaries are in your district?  How many districts in your zone?

A: In my district there are just Me and my companion, and Elder Arveseth and his companion. The zones keep growing and splitting too but the english zone I am in has 20 missionaries (2 wards, 3 branches). We usually have zone conference once a transfer and interviews every other zone conference.

Well the work here continues to go forward and we have some great potential investigators. Leticia is getting baptized on Friday and I am so pumped for that! I get to confirm her so I am excited for that experience in Spanish. I don't think I have ever confirmed anyone actually! Woo! Plus it's her birthday the same day as her baptism. What a great gift huh? Thank you so much for the love that you all send to me. I am feeling great and happy to be here! Loves!

-Elder Fivas


Elder Burt
There is this place called New Richmond that is this TINY town right on the border of Kentucky and Ohio. Way funny little place. I was there with Elder Burt on exchanges